Monday, January 30, 2012

Not Letting Mistakes Distract From God


"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous." -Alexander Hamilton

            I make mistakes, it’s in my nature. Even when I mean good and try my best with the best intentions, I still slip up every now and then. In every error there is a lesson to be learned, but even though I can learn it and try my best not to repeat it, that doesn’t change the reality that mistakes are bound to happen. So why then should I get so wrapped up in one or two of them? The fact is that what is done is done. God calls me to learn and to move on, rather than dwelling in the past and allowing it to consume me. Even Paul confessed, “I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be.” (Philippians 3:12)
            The important thing to remember is that God is always there to pick me up when I fall down, and that He still has big plans for my life, even if it seems as if my mistakes are clouding the future. Only God knows my heart, and God knows that so long as I have faith in Him, He will provide my spirit with all that it needs. “The steps of the godly are directed by the Lord. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will not fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.” (Psalm 37:23-24) And so, why should I allow myself to get caught up in one error or another? Instead, I should acknowledge them and move on. After all, mistakes are bound to happen in life, and I’ve got a lot of living to do!

            Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for always being with me, even when I make mistakes. Whether they’re big or small, none are too big for you. You open my eyes and my heart with every new breath and fill me with the resolve of your Spirit. I pray Lord that when I do slip up, that you would be with me, help me to learn from my mistakes, and help me to move on, rather than allowing them to rattle and consume me. I just pray in this day Lord, that you would show me your way and bless me in all that I do. In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment